Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing for dual Sup-7E using VSS

darren-carr
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

I am working on a design using a pair of Cisco 4507R+E and two WS-X45-Sup7-E per chassis. I want to setup VSS between the two chassis and have supervisor redundancy per chassis. I plan to create a VSL between the two supervisors and also two 10Gbps line cards (40Gbps VSL).

I was wondering how the licensing for the supervisors would work? Would I just pay for two L-C4500E-LB-ES or would I have to buy one per supervisor (four in total)?

Thanks,

Darren

1 Reply 1

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Darren,

Some key point to be remembered for Cisco 4500 VSS:

1) Configuration/Capability Supported supervisors on Catalyst 4500-E: VSS support Supervisor Engine 7-E or 7-LE (identical pairs).For more information about hardware to support please refer 4500 VSS Hardware requirement

2) Software requirement: Cisco IOS XE 3.4.0SG and ROMMON IOS Version 15.0(1r) SG7 later released support VSS.(Also refer How to Upgrade Cisco 4500 SUP7-E & Sup7L-E ROMMON To support VSS).

3) Minimum license : IP Base or higher (7-E) or special license (7-LE and Catalyst 4500-X).For information about Software Activation Licensing please refer Cisco Catalyst 4500E Supervisor 7-E and 7L-E and Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Software Activation Licensing Deployment Guide.

4) Single-sup cross-chassis VSS support: Yes.

5) Quad-sup VSS configuration with in-chassis redundant sups: In-chassis redundant sups in rommon mode with active uplinks.

6) It also supports 10 Gigabit Ethernet Virtual Switch Link (VSL) and 1 Gigabit Ethernet VSL.

7) SSO and nonstop forwarding (NSF) must be configured on each switch. If a VSS does not meet the requirements for SSO redundancy; it will be incapable of establishing a relationship with the peer switch. Catalyst 4500/4500-X series switches' VSS does not support route processor redundancy (RPR) mode

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-29472

HTH

Regards

Inayath

***** Please rate if this info is helpfull*****************

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card