Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Licensing for dual Sup-7E using VSS

Hi all,

I am working on a design using a pair of Cisco 4507R+E and two WS-X45-Sup7-E per chassis. I want to setup VSS between the two chassis and have supervisor redundancy per chassis. I plan to create a VSL between the two supervisors and also two 10Gbps line cards (40Gbps VSL).

I was wondering how the licensing for the supervisors would work? Would I just pay for two L-C4500E-LB-ES or would I have to buy one per supervisor (four in total)?

Thanks,

Darren

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Licensing for dual Sup-7E using VSS

Darren,

Some key point to be remembered for Cisco 4500 VSS:

1) Configuration/Capability Supported supervisors on Catalyst 4500-E: VSS support Supervisor Engine 7-E or 7-LE (identical pairs).For more information about hardware to support please refer 4500 VSS Hardware requirement

2) Software requirement: Cisco IOS XE 3.4.0SG and ROMMON IOS Version 15.0(1r) SG7 later released support VSS.(Also refer How to Upgrade Cisco 4500 SUP7-E & Sup7L-E ROMMON To support VSS).

3) Minimum license : IP Base or higher (7-E) or special license (7-LE and Catalyst 4500-X).For information about Software Activation Licensing please refer Cisco Catalyst 4500E Supervisor 7-E and 7L-E and Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Software Activation Licensing Deployment Guide.

4) Single-sup cross-chassis VSS support: Yes.

5) Quad-sup VSS configuration with in-chassis redundant sups: In-chassis redundant sups in rommon mode with active uplinks.

6) It also supports 10 Gigabit Ethernet Virtual Switch Link (VSL) and 1 Gigabit Ethernet VSL.

7) SSO and nonstop forwarding (NSF) must be configured on each switch. If a VSS does not meet the requirements for SSO redundancy; it will be incapable of establishing a relationship with the peer switch. Catalyst 4500/4500-X series switches' VSS does not support route processor redundancy (RPR) mode

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-29472

HTH

Regards

Inayath

***** Please rate if this info is helpfull*****************

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content