Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Limit speed of 3750 Gig port to 768

We have a gig 3750 and want to limit the speed in and out of one of it's ports to 768 to simulate a fractional T1.

I'm having trouble finding the best way to do this.

Thanks,

Andy

• LAN Switching and Routing
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: Limit speed of 3750 Gig port to 768

With QoS, you can configure Policing.

Please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Re: Limit speed of 3750 Gig port to 768

It should be pretty easy to do this in the ingress direction with a service-policy, but you might struggle on egress as the 3750 can't do egress service-policies. However the 3750 supports bandwidth limiting on egress ports. This is configured as a percentage and can be in the range 10-100. So the best you are going to get is 1Mbps by restricting a port to 10Mbps and applying a bandwidth limit of 10%.

switch(config)# interface FastEthernet 1/0/1

switch(config-if)# speed 10

switch(config-if)# duplex full

switch(config-if)# srr-queue bandwidth limit 10

This might not achieve what you are looking for though as it works by making the link idle for X-percent of the time - i.e. in this case it would be idle for 90% of the time.

To configure the inbound policy you would do this:

switch(config)# policy-map Restrict-768Kbps

switch(config-pmap)# class class-default

switch(config-pmap-c)# police 786432 8000 exceed-action drop

switch(config)# interface FastEthernet 1/0/1

switch(config-if)# service-policy input Restrict-768Kbps

I haven't tested any of this but based on the documentation this is probably the best you can achieve. If you really want to simulate a fractional T1 why not get a pair of routers and a back-to-back serial cable and physically clock the link at 768Kbps? This would be a more realistic test.

HTH

Andy

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.