cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting voice and video traffic bandwidth with policy maps?

ttl-systems
Level 1
Level 1

I need to limit the bandwith of a customer that mainly sends voice and video traffic. If I do this with policy maps will the outcome be something terrible, because voice and video is mainly udp traffic, and policing drops excessive traffic?

Any experiences from this? I need to do the limiting with 3560 switch so there isn't much options...

6 Replies 6

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

What do you mean by there isnt much options.

I think you can do what you need with the features available on the 3560.

check this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12225see/scg/swqos.htm#wp1408392

Vlad

Hi there,

Rather than policing, have a look at shaping.

As for drops, if your customer is using more bandwidth than they're allowed, then they should expect drops!!

Hope that helps,

LH

Please rate all posts

How can I force a client on a specific port on my 3560 to have 30mb of bandwidth with shaping? All traffic from that port should share that 30mb.

ttl-systems
Level 1
Level 1

The ingress bandwidth of the port need to be rate limited also. The egress bandwidth I do with srr-queue bandwidth limit weight1 command. The ingress I do with policy maps like this:

policy-map 4mb

class rate-limit

police 4096000 1000000 exceed-action drop

Class map is linked to acccess-list that matches any.

How this can be done with shaping? And yes I know where the configuration guide is...

Hello,

the Cisco 3560 switches do not support service policies assigned on the egress of an interface due to an ASIC limitation.

If you want to limit the egress to 30MB, you can do that with the 'srr-queue' command. To limit ingress traffic by policing the default class. The config would look like this:

mls qos

policy-map police_30M

class class-default

police 30000000 5120000 exceed-action drop

!

interface FastEthernet1/0/2

description oolice to 30 Mbps

speed 100

service-policy input police_30M

srr-queue bandwidth limit 30

Does that make sense ?

Regards,