cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LINE CARD ISSUE ON 65K SWITCH

Narayan Dev Sarma
Spotlight
Spotlight

Suddenly got a call from a client that their internet connectivity is down.

After reaching the site, I checked the everything & found that there is no traffic coming in to the ASA's Inside interface.

The interface was showing up but no traffic coming in & I did a continuous ping to the inside IP address of the ASA.

That was very strange.

So checked the switch interface where the ASA was connected to. It was a WS-X6748-GE-TX where one of the port is configured for the connectivity with the ASA.Here also the interface seems up.

I did a shut & no shut on the swicthport. After that the switchport never came up. Again strange.

I used another port of the 65k switch to connect my laptop. Here I found my laptop's nic is not coming up. I know there is

a hardware issue now.

Connected the sup720 ethernet 1G port to the ASA & configured the switchport. Users cheering internet was there.

I did a show module on the 65k switch & diagnostic showed passed for the WS-X6748-GE-TX slot. I checked the logs on the switch but I found nothing stating that there is an error for the hardware.

I thought of reloading the switch & once I reloaded the switch then the strange part was cleared.

The diagnostic test didn't passed for the specific module it was showing as slot 2  "unknown" state.

And after sometime the below message appeared on my telnet session

Aug 19 08:05:08.995: %PM_SCP-SP-1-LCP_FW_ERR: System resetting module 2 to recover from error: Linecard received system exception. Errcode =

Aug 19 08:05:08.995: %OIR-SP-3-PWRCYCLE: Card in module 2, is being power-cycled 'Off (Module Reset due to exception or user request)'

Aug 19 08:05:08.995: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 2 set Off (Module Reset due to exception or user request)

There was no more mesaage but when I checked 1 of the switchport on the switch now it started working fine.

So, my question is there any possibilty that an error msg can be seen when this error occurs ?

3 Replies 3

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks to me like parity error on the module.

Can you please provide me output of show module and  also if there is any crash info f ile generated by this module?

Regards

Inayath

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I left the client place already.

May be a parity issue hardware / software. But wht I am asking why there was no error msg when the module was not working initially. It was showing as if is working fine.

After a reload may be the module recovered from parity & there was no more msg on the console other than the above mentioned.. I did not checked whether a crash info file was generated.

Regards

Narayan Dev Sarma

Narayan Dev Sarma
Spotlight
Spotlight

At last raised an RMA against the faulty Line Card.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card