cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Line Console Password

alatzas
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a 3845 router and I placed a password in the line console. Though when I log out of the console and back in it still doesnt ask for a password. I am able to type enable and get to the # prompt. I tried my normal "login" command but in the router it stated incomplete command. There is a "login authentication default" command but I am not sure that is what I need to perform.

Thanks

Pete

10 Replies 10

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

have you configured "login" command under console port like this.

line con0

password

login

hope this helps .... rate if it does ....

Yeah. When I type "login" I get incomplete command. I figure that I am missing something somewhere.

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Do you experinece the same thing when the console session time out.

You can remove the login authentication default command as it is basically used with Tacacs+ or radius

HTH

Narayan

I never did implement the command. I did not want to lock myself out of the system.

Thanks,

Pete

He is saying it is default so it doesn't show up so try "no default authentication" and see what happens .

It looks like AAA is enabled. If you don't want use AAA feature, just type "no aaa new-model". Then the "login" command without any keyword should work.

Hope this help

SSLIN

Oh. But if I use aaa new-model for ssh how do I configure the console port to use a password?

Pete

You can define a authentication method list, like this:

aaa authentication login default local

then define a username-password pair

username admin password cisco

Now, next time when you login, you will be prompted to enter a username and password.

Let me know if it work

SSLIN

oops, sorry, I forgot the last step:

line con 0

login authentication default

HTH

SSLIN

dan.cicioiu
Level 1
Level 1

"I just purchased a 3845 router and I placed a password in the line console"

line con 0

pass xxxxx

login

"I am able to type enable and get to the # prompt. "

enable secret xxxxx

The enable password is not the same with the console password, so if you set the console password and not the enable pass when you type enable you will get privilege level 15 with no pass.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card