cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Line Protocol down

austindaz
Level 1
Level 1

I have set an ip address on Fa0/1 and on a 'show ip int brief' it says line protocol down and status is up? What could be the issue?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Darren

Some ports support auto setting of straight/cross over to accomodate various types of connections. If the interface is showing line protocol down it looks like this interface does not support it automatically. And I am not aware of any command line that will do this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darren

When the interface status is up and the line protocol status is down on a FastEthernet interface it is typically a sign that nothing is plugged in or that there is a problem with the connection.

Can you check and tell us whether something is plugged in? And if there is something plugged in can you tell us what it is and how it is connected? Remember that some things (like connecting a PC to the router port) require a cross over cable while other things (like connecting a switch to the router port) require a straight through cable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks;

is there a way of reversing the port - maybe from command line? I don't have a xover available?

regards

Darren

Some ports support auto setting of straight/cross over to accomodate various types of connections. If the interface is showing line protocol down it looks like this interface does not support it automatically. And I am not aware of any command line that will do this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Darren

I am glad that my responses helped to resolve your issue. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your issue was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read an issue and can know that there were responses which did help to resolve the issue.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card