cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link between an active switch and an inactive one and trunk configuration

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

I have got 2 core switches (4507), core1 Active and core2 inactive (redundancy) (4705) and two PIX (525) PIX1 active, PIX2 inactive (redundancy) and two switches (3550) in DMZ, switch1 active and switch2 inactive (redundancy).

Core1 (active) is connected to one of the PIX1?s Ethernet, and switch1 (active in DMZ) is connected to another PIX1?s ethrnet.

Connection between two PIX is serial cable for failover.

Current link between two core switches was configured as trunks , and I have got two trunk links between 3550 switches in DMZ zone,,,,,,the question is if the second core switch or the second 3550 switch were used for redundancy purpose, do I need to configure the link between these tow core switches , or between two these two DMZ switches (3550) as trunk ?

2 Replies 2

Hello,

can you make a drawing of your setup and post it ? I am not really clear on what your current setup is, and what you are asking. If you require redundancy for either the core or DMZ switches, you would indeed need to configure trunk links between the switches, and configure spanning tree so that one link (the active one) is preferred over the other (you could achieve that by e.g. using the ?spanning-tree vlan x root primary? global command)...

As stated, if you could post a drawing of your setup, that might make it easier to answer your question...

Regards,

GP

[cut]can you make a drawing of your setup and post it ?[/cut]

Please see it below

On the right hand of the drawing are active, switch 2950, PIX, core switch

On the left hand of the drawing are inactive, switch 2950, PIX, core switch.

DMZ top on (3550) is inactive, bottom (2550) is active

[cut]

you would indeed need to configure trunk links between the switches, and configure spanning tree so that one link (the active one) is preferred over the other (you could achieve that by e.g. using the ?spanning-tree vlan x root primary? global command)...

[/cut]

Can't i achieve redundancy by configuring HSRP ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card