Views
Helpful
Replies

link-local

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

dear netpro!

when you map the Link local of the remote router to ur local router do i need to assign the brodcast keyword like the address of the remote node Node

10xs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it should be identical to the IPv6 address.

Both commands should contain the DLCI and broadcast keyword.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it should be identical to the IPv6 address.

Both commands should contain the DLCI and broadcast keyword.

10xs edison

Edison,

I don't like to contradict, but I'm afraid my opinion is different.

The policy I have followed recently is to put the broadcast keyword only on the link-local mapping. I have found that you only need the broadcast keyword on one mapping for each DLCI. In fact, if you include "broadcast" on more than one mapping, then the broadcast frame is duplicated on the DLCI.

This applies to IPv4 mappings too, in a hub-and-spoke topology. For the spokes I put the broadcast keyword on the mapping for the hub, but not on the spoke-to-spoke mappings because they are the same DLCI as the spoke-to-hub. At the hub I need "broadcast" on each and every spoke mapping because they are all different DLCIs.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin,

Feel free to contribute, no problem from me :)

As for having the broadcast on the link-local only, that's a fair statement as you may see or you will see duplicate broadcasts from the IPv6 address and the link-local address. However, and keep in mind this isn't a CCIE exam :), if you don't have any requirement - having on both doesn't hurt at all.

Same goes for the IPv4 mappings, the extra mapping on the command won't make your configuration invalid, it's just one of those CCIE 'gotchas'.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: