cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link usage of etherchannel

y.lo
Level 1
Level 1

For etherchannel of 2 links on a 3750 switch, if 1 link ever gets saturated, will the other link be used as well if the excess traffic is part of the same flow?

Or that excess traffic will simply be dropped?

I just can't get such infromation in any cisco document.

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

In my understanding, EtherChannel by its definition works by hashing the address fields of transmtted frames (optionally of packets and even segments) to produce a single number that indicates the egress port to send the frame. The actual load of this port is not taken into account. This means even if a port in EtherChannel is saturated, the EtherChannel will not move the traffic to another port. As a result, the excess traffic will be buffered and possibly dropped.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for your reply Peter. Are you aware of any cisco document talking about this? Many thanks.

Hello,

Sadly, no, no document I know says this plainly. The only document I really liked about EtherChannels is this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

My answer is in part based on the facts from this document.

Best regards,

Peter

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

My understanding is the same as Peter's, which is also why choice of hashing algorithm can be crucial for optimal Etherchannel load balancing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card