cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys E3000 Help!

Rackety_Loki
Level 1
Level 1

can anyone please assist me. My E3000 router for some odd apparent reason, is not dishing out an IP address to my xbox 360. Even though i'm maintaining  an active internet connection with my primary coputer and a couple of devices over my wifi connection. I have tried power cycling my internet connection but the final outcome was unsuccessful. I've also tried connecting my xbox directly to my modem and achieved an active connection, so therefore it is not my modem or xbox for that concern. I've tried everything that I know and still nothing. If anyone can lend some advice it would be much appreciated.

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joseph,

Was E3000 working before or this is new device you are just trying to add?

Reza

Joseph, I also have an Xbox 360, and from my personal experience, the Xbox 360 is a networking nightmare.

Sometimes it likes to get DHCP Addresses, and sometimes it doesn't... One thing I noticed is that if Xbox Live goes down, or partially down, my 360 will refuse an IP Address. It sounds really weird, but after some testing thats what I came up with. Xbox Live seems to have a good deal of downtime too, for an online gaming service.

There have been several instances where I set a static IP address, and my Xbox 360 would connect finally, but not always. Then I might try DHCP the next day and it will start working again... Confusing eh?

Yes it was. Only once though. I was connected one day then suddenly disconnected the next. I don't get it at all! Out of my knowledge/experience, if you have an active internet connection with your router and modem, your router is then (theoretically speaking) suppose to successfully distribute an IP address to any device connected through a hardwire connection.

Actually a device should be able to acquire a DHCP address even if the WAN link is down. Most DHCP servers for home networking are for distributing Private IP Addresses (192.168.x.x, etc.), and should be distributed to any device that requests one, regardless if the internet connection is working.

well that may be, but apparently not in my case. I've tried everything, opening the right ports for xbox live, enabling UPNP/disabling UPNP, Enabling DMZ/disabling DMZ, entering a static IP on my xbox within the DHCP range, releasing/renewing my routers IP address, changing the MTU from 1500 to 1365, power cycling my internet connection etc. Still nothing. I'm just going to get a wireless adapter for my xbox 360 to eliminate future trouble. Even though I would like to have a wired connection instead, seems like that's not going to happen though. If anyone can shine some light on my current situation it would be much appreciated, this has never happened to me.

I have the wireless adapter.. Doesn't exclude you from the wonders of Xbox 360 networking

I tried all the stuff you did too (was getting a ton of error messages, "your mtu setting is not high enough", etc. etc.) Chances are Xbox live is just down or something...

But yea a wireless connection is the same as plugging into a switch, so I don't know why you'd switch :? Stay wired if you can.

Well...I'll try to stay wired, but i highly doubt there's going to be a successful outcome. Probably going to go with the wireless connection instead, though wireless N signals are suppose to be really strong and reliable...so i've heard. Like you, I got connected once with a wired connection through my router, then my spirits were dampened the next day as I found that I was once disconnected again...for no apparent reason!!! Very fustrating and very, very confusing.

I have a wireless N signal (cisco881w) and its pretty reliable. Although a wired connection is FAR more reliable (even if its 10/100). My suggested workaround is that you set a Static IP Address for your Xbox 360, and make sure you have port 3074 UDP forwarded (for OPEN Nat). If you are ever unable to connect to xbox live, chances are 99% that Xbox Live is down.

One thing I noticed is that Xbox 360 does not like using a Client Bridge for Wireless>Ethernet (probably because of the MAC translation), and I would have to reset the bridge to get a DHCP address, but static addy worked just fine.

Heck just the other day I got disconnected about 10 times during a movie on netflix... I was able to login immediately upon disconnecting but man talk about annoying?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: