cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys SRW2048 : Fiber Optic Help

phil.poole
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find an answer to a problem.

I am helping a campus that uses 10+ SRW2048 Switches around campus. They are currently connected by Fiber Optic but through Media convertors then Etherner into each SRW2048 Switches. To my assumption dumbing down the speed to 1000mb/sec (right?). They plan on installing extra Fiber Optic between the buildings to help with growth and enhance the speed of the existing network.  I am sure, I can connect the fiber directly into the switches, eliminating the media convertors and the ethernet connectors (more speed and one less device to worry about).  I have been scouring over message boards and reading manuals with little help.  So, here are my questions:

1.  Can I connect the fiber optic lines directly into the SRW2048 switches using their mini-GBIC ports, instead of going to a media converter then to ethernet line?

2. What is the maximum distance between switches connected?  Just making sure.

3. What Hardware would I need to complete this? (see below)

4. What do I need to do software wise? I read on on forum page, logging into the switch, I read you have to turn off the Auto-detection (or something like that) because that only works for Ethernet.

From my understanding it is completely doable but I am getting many different answers and to work 100%.

I assume I have to purchase one type of the following:

Which one is the best to use?  I assume NOT to use #3, that just looks to be another Fiber to Ethernet connection. That's not exactly what I want.

The fiber lines are terminated by ST Connectors and that is about all I know about them. I assume, I just plug the ST connection right into the GBIC Transciever?  I believe they are "6 core" and there are 3 separate lines coming from each building.  If you need more information about the Fiber line, I am sure I can find out.

I hope to think someone who knows these answers really quick.  I just need direction to resolve this painlessly.

(I really need to learn this stuff!)

Thank you in advance.

2 Replies 2

phil.poole
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I found this is doable but I need to use LC connectors instead of ST Connectors.

So, I am on track, but still need the other questions answered.

Is anyone there?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card