Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

LLDP + source mac address

Hi,

Does anyone know what the source mac address of an LLDP frame should be according to the IEEE standard ?

We connected some devices that use LLDP to our network, and we noticed that they were using two MAC addresses: MAC A for ARP and IP higher layer protocol and MAC B (which was MAC A + 1) for LLDP advertisements. I am not sure if a device is free to do this.

This generates problems with our port security policy which allows only one MAC per port in the data vlan.

I only see the following solutions:

- change our policy to allow two macs/port

- ask the device manager to disable LLDP on that device

- put a VLAN ACL on all ports to drop LLDP frames (??)

- others..

regards,

Geert

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: LLDP + source mac address

Here's clause 8.2 from the 802.1AB spec:

"8.2 Source address

The source address shall be the MAC address of the sending station or port."

http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.1AB-2005.pdf

The statement seems to assume that a given device will only have one MAC address, so using another MAC address may not necessarily be a violation.

What platform(s) and IOS version(s) are you seeing this on?

-Bobby

Bronze

The device is a Siemens S7-300 PLC, it uses different MAC addresses for ARP broadcasts and LLDP advertisements (very strange to me, but i have a capture proving it).

It also send an LLDP advertisment every 5 seconds (not sure if this also is "within specification")

PS. What exactly does the command:

"no lldp receive" do on an interface ?

Does it filter off LLDP protocol messages (and therefore also prevents the port from learning an additional MAC address) ?

Cisco Employee

Views
Helpful
Replies