Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancer Solution

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Folks:

I need to implement a load balancing solution pretty soon and I would like some ideas regarding topology, design and methodology.

This is what I have:

1.) Two 7600 Aggregation routers with 4500 L2 server farm switches hanging off of them in a looped topology.

2.) Load balancers (either an ACE module or an ACE appliance).

3.) 4 vlans with a cluster of DNS servers in one, a cluster of DHCP in another, and 2 application server clusters in the 3rd and 4th.

What I need to know is what approahes I can take regarding routing methodology, L2 adjacency, general approach, connectivity, etc.

I know this is a loaded question, but if I can get 2 or 3 complete solutions from the folks on this board, that would be awesome!

Im about to board aplane, so I cant respond to queries until about 3 hours or so.

Thanks!

Victor

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Victor-

There are ton of options, hard for us to say which is best. Since you have 7600's I would lean to keep that as your routing point. Here's a link to the SRND which covers a bunch of the design options. You also might want to post in the Application Networking forum (under Data Center), there are some top-notch ACE people over there.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/ACE_FWSM.html

Hope that helps.

Collin:

Thanks, man. I was going to check out the SRNDs when I got home. Im still airport hopping. Im on my way home from Cisco dallas. had a meeting with AS for a gig on the west coast thtas kicking off soon.

I was hoping, though, that some people can at least give me an example of how they have seen it done or how they have done it on their networks. I remember Jon gave me a great solution a long time ago. I wish I had saved it.

Im gonna take your advice about the application networking forum, too.

Thanks

Victor

Victor

Found a couple of threads where we discussed these sort of things -

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40^1%40%40.2cc09b58/7#selected_message

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=WAN%2C%20Routing%20and%20Switching&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40^1%40%40.2cbfe876/10#selected_message

My experience with ACE modules is fairly limited but a lot of what we discussed is still applicable.

Jon

I can tell you what I've done, but it's a lot simpler than what you're looking at. I setup an ACE appliance that load balanced HTTP/HTTPS. I have a two-tier firewalled DMZ.

FW--ACE--WEBSEAL--FW--DATA

Very straight forward. We had a project to replace our internal CSS's which would look a lot more like what you're doing, but it got canceled because of the economy.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Victor,

You don't get that solution from back-issue Hustler magazine. He he he ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card