Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing in eigrp

Dayesin89
Level 1
Level 1

load balancing.png

I require that when sending network packets  the 10.202.1.0/24 to 10.201.1.0/24.  70% exit10.200.2.1 and  30% for 10.200.3.1

Is this possible

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

What you want to achieve is called Load Balancing over Unequal Cost Paths.

The link below describes how it can be configured:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009437d.shtml

All links being equal, the ratio between the paths (and hence the metric also) is roughly 2:1 in favor of the direct path.

This translates roughly to 66% vs 33% traffic shares, quite close to the mark. I hope this is accurate enough because tweaking the metric to exactly 70-30 will not be easy.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Leo

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some details of your question are somewhat puzzling to me. The behavior that you describe 10.202.1.0 to 10.201.1.0 would seem to be behaviors of router 2 but the topology table that you show is the topology table of router 1. So we do not have sufficient information (or perhaps sufficient understanding) of the topology to really answer your question.

But in general the topology seems fairly simple and if we make some assumptions then we can suggest an answer that should be pretty close to right.  When the topology is a simple triangle as you show then the default behavior of EIGRP is to do equal cost load balancing and there is only a single route in the topology table (and in the routing table) to the destination. With EIGRP there is an option for un-euqal cost load balancing using configuration of variance. When variance is configured EIGRP can load balance over links with unequal cost and will balance the traffic in proportion to the metrics of the various routes. So if you configure variance and if you can produce metrics on the routes (probably achieved by applying offset lists) that are in the proportion 70 to 30, then you could achieve your requirement.

In practical terms I believe that it would be very difficult to achieve the proportion of 70 to 30 in the metrics of the routes. and therefore very difficult to achieve your requirements.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card