Views
Helpful
Replies

load balancing using multiple default routes

anonuevo_rex
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I just want to ask does creating multiple default routes on my router provides load-balancing on my WAN side? As far as i know, for example if I have two default routes on my router and let say I have two users connecting to the internet, the first one might go to the first WAN link while the second user might go to the second WAN link.

Thank you so much

Rex

5 Replies 5

Yes it does. The way two WANs will be utilized depends on the load sharing algorithm you have chosen.

Hi el02154emp,

Thank you so much for this. What do you mean load sharing algorithm? Is there any?coz I haven't enabled any protocol some sort like GLBP.

Regards,

Rex

edited

upendra.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

there are the difference between, load balancing and load sharing..which we need to understand.

load sharing means you have 2 users, user A and User B, user A wants to use ISP1 and user B wants to use ISP2. this is called load sharing. and can be achieved via PBR (Policy based routing).

we should not try to use load balancing for Internet traffic with 2 different ISPs.

Hi upendra.cisco

Thank you so much for this. Can you provide me a sample PBR configuration for this scenario?

Thank you so much

Rex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card