Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing using single /24 in BGP

Hi,

I have 2 internet link and only one /24 subnet and running bgp between 2 service provider. Now i want to use both link in active. Is there any option avilable in BGP to use load balance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Vikram,

A little correction to your reply.

ISP will not accept any route with /25 subnet. consider below

---ISPA--

Upstream               Customer

---ISPB---

If customer has advt. /25 and assume that ISPA and ISPB has accepted as an optional case. it is not guarantee that upstream will accept

prefix in /25 subnet as a result upstream will see only one /24 as a best either via.ISPA or ISPB

This is possible only if customer is peered with single provider.

There is no solution to loadshare traffic. The only option left is customer asks local registry for /23 subnet and divide it into /24 subnet

Hope this helps

Regards

Mahesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

vdadlaney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jayaramakrishnan,

One solution that you could use is split the /24 into 2 x /25's and than advertise one /25 out of one link and the other out of the other link. In addition pls also advertise the /24 out of both links for backup purposes in case one of your ISP fails all traffic inbound for the /25 associated with the failed ISP will follow the /24 that you advertised out of the other ISP. HTH.

Regards,

Vikram

Hello Vikram,

A little correction to your reply.

ISP will not accept any route with /25 subnet. consider below

---ISPA--

Upstream               Customer

---ISPB---

If customer has advt. /25 and assume that ISPA and ISPB has accepted as an optional case. it is not guarantee that upstream will accept

prefix in /25 subnet as a result upstream will see only one /24 as a best either via.ISPA or ISPB

This is possible only if customer is peered with single provider.

There is no solution to loadshare traffic. The only option left is customer asks local registry for /23 subnet and divide it into /24 subnet

Hope this helps

Regards

Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

Thx for correcting me on that. I forgot that little fact about the ISP's accepting only certain length prefixes. Thx

Regards,

Vikram

Thank you for the update..we have /23 , but we have most of the servers are in one segment, Let me check to change the NAT IP. 

Thanks,

Jayaram

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card