Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Load Sharing by OSPF equal cost routing not successful

Hello,

Recently I setup two ethernet connection between two sites, and trying to do the load-sharing by normal OSPF equal cost routing. I've setup a seperate environement successfully as I see two equal cost route for one destination but it seems that all traffic is fall to one of the ethernet channel.

I just wonder if this is hardware dependent. The testing hardware is 2 3550 L3 routing switchs and software version is 12.1(22)EA1a.

Another question is if the test successful I will plug it to production network which is connected by one 6509 and 4503. I don't know if there are any different result in different HW/SW.

Thanks,

Ben

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Load Sharing by OSPF equal cost routing not successful

If you are trying to balance across the etherchannel then it possible that all or most will fall to one side depending on the traffic , the traffic across the etherchannel is hashed according to either the source mac address or the source or dest or both ip address depending on how you set the switch up . You might want to play around with that to see if you can get better balance across the channel.

Re: Load Sharing by OSPF equal cost routing not successful

Believe it or not, I change the IP addresses to one one even(10.1.1.20) and one odd(10.1.1.21), then and two paths can be fully utilized! The test show operting machanism of ip-sharing machanism!

Views
Helpful
Replies