Views
Helpful
Replies

Local multicast range is not passing between sites

doron.somech
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a followup question to my last post: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3546993.

We found out that only local multicast ip address range is not passing between the sites, any other range is passing, local range is 239.0.0.0 and above.

We have two different datacenters, the internal switch is 2960S (Stacked) with 1-10 vlans and the external switch is 3560E, the external switch is adding another tag (qinq, dot1q), vlan 611, and send the packets to metro line to the other site.

on the other site we have the same configuration.

internal switch from site A is configured with igmp querier and the internal switch port on site B connected to the external switch is configured as mrotuer port.

multicast and igmp is passig between the sites, but the local multicast range is not passing, igmp filterring is configured on all port but no profile is defined and no ports are filterred, on the external switch igmp snooping is disabled.

you can find more information in the last post.

Thanks for the help,

Doron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Doron,

it is plausible that your ISP is filtering the administered scope range (I saw it already) and you should ask them is they have some policy in that sense.

For more check:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mboned-admin-ip-space-02

Riccardo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Doron,

how is your mcast traffic routed between the sites?

I am asking as 239.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 range, as you wrote, is a locally administered group (something like private unicat address defined in rfc1918) which cannot be routed outside the locally administered boundary.

Riccardo

Hi Riccardo,

I think you are right, but the thing is that there is no router between the two sites, they are connected directly using metro line, also the two sites have the same ip subnet and there is no router or any other hops between two machines in different sites. so there is no routing of multicast traffic.

the service provider of the metro may filter the local multicast range but i'm not sure. i want to make sure it's not a configuration on one of the switches.

Hi Doron,

it is plausible that your ISP is filtering the administered scope range (I saw it already) and you should ask them is they have some policy in that sense.

For more check:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mboned-admin-ip-space-02

Riccardo

Thanks Riccardo, i think the ISP is doing the filtering as well, i dropped them an email to make sure.

It still weird because it is a metro connection and not an internet so i'm not sure why they are doing the filtering.

By the way on the same cable there is the metro and the internet traffic, each with different vlan, so this may be the reason.

Anyway thank you for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card