cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Local SPAN session limit on 6509-E w/ WS-SUP720-3B

yuchenglai
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting the following error message when I try create a second local SPAN session on my 6509-E w/ WS-SUP720-3B

% Local Session limit has been exceeded

There are currently two SPAN sessions already running

Session 1

---------

Type : Service Module Session

Modules allowed : 1-9

Modules active : 1-2

BPDUs allowed : Yes

Session 2

---------

Type : Local Session

Source VLANs :

Both : 8

Destination Ports : Gi3/8

How do I go about creating local SPAN session sourcing another VLAN w/o getting this error message?

20 Replies 20

Well, I've done this test again and made sure I captured the results.

The captures do support what serg and RCarret posted.

Serg,

The official name for these are 'internal vlans' (not very exciting I know).

You can actually find out which vlans map to which layer-3 ports. Get on your 6k and issue a 'show vlan internal usage'.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan, nice piece of information.

-serg

The most interesting part of this post from Marcoa Caballero is the phrase "usually be marked as a vlan 10...". It seems that sometimes the packet can be marked by an ingress VLAN number, rather then the egress VLAN number.

IDS documentation:

"Using VACL capture or SPAN (promiscuous monitoring) is inconsistent with regard to VLAN tagging, which causes problems with VLAN groups.

-When using Cisco IOS software, a VACL capture port or a SPAN target does not always receive tagged packets even if it is configured for trunking.

-When using the MSFC, fast path switching of learned routes changes the behavior of VACL captures and SPAN."

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Hi,

I configured VACL for all IP traffic for vlan 300 and vlan 301 and when i ping device connected to vlan 301 i only see in sniffer echo request not echo reply. It means it only capture outgoing traffic not incomming. Any specific config needed ???

Configuration:

ip access-list extended ALL_IP_TRAFIC

permit ip any any

vlan access-map MONITOR 10

match ip address ALL_IP_TRAFIC

action forward capture

!

vlan filter MONITOR vlan-list 300-301

# configure below two lines under gi1/47 - Port connected to sniffer

switchport capture

switchport capture allowed vlan 300,301

Chintan.

Hi,

Further to my mail above, i have 6500 box having SVI 300 and 301 configured. it is trunk to other voice box and uplink of 6500 box is connected to my IP core network ( L3 GE interface). Now if I ping from remote pop to IP on voice box ( VLAN 301) i only see outgoign packet (echo request) in sniffer and don't see echo reply.

Sniffer port is configured with trunk and capture all vlan.

How do i get echo reply also in sniffer so that i can also capture the traffic from my voice box to IP core ?

Any help apprcieated.

Chintan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card