Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging, buffer size and show version

rush2amol
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know on configuring the logging buffer for a 3750 stack. Is there any reference document? Also guess this is the DRAM of the switch so does it affect the data traffic?

When we issue the show version command we see "118784K/12280K bytes of memory", what is the first and second parameter here and is it related to the logging buffer configuration.

Thx in advance.

Regards,

Amol More.

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Amol,

>> When we issue the show version command we see "118784K/12280K bytes of memory", what is the first and second parameter here and is it related to the logging buffer configuration.

first parameter is main memory and second parameter is I/O memory used to process packets and frames.

you can check memory usage with

sh proc mem | inc Free

you should be able to set the logging buffer to 1000000 bytes with no issues.

This can help in troubleshooting issues.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hey, i am a bit confused. I was checking a document "http://www.fredshack.com/docs/cisco_ios_basics.html" on web which says the show version gives you the packet mem and process mem allocation details like routing protocol etc.

Further I checked another switch for its show version "cisco WS-C3750E-24TD (PowerPC405) processor (revision E0) with 0K/16376K bytes of memory". I am not sure if first parameter is main memory.

Regards,

Amol M.

"cisco WS-C3750E-24TD (PowerPC405) processor (revision E0) with 0K/16376K bytes of memory"

This switch is running an IOS version which has a bug, because as stated by Giuseppe the syntax is processor or main memory before the / and I/O or packet memory after the /

Obviously a switch cannot run without any processor memory.

If you do a full "show proc mem" you will get information about what amount of memory is used for which processes etc.

HTH

ok. I hope this bug does not hamper any of our production traffic ?

Thx both for your responses.

Regards,

Amol More.

Probably not, but - depending on your current version - it might be appropriate to upgrade to a newer IOS version like 12.2(50)SE3. One reason could be the Security Advisories from Cisco; see http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20090923-bundle.shtml

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: