cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging message catalyst 4006

tahseen12
Level 1
Level 1

I am not getting interface status messages like interface up or down in any logging(buffer,console or terminal)

All are enabled with level 7

The IOS is cat4000-i5s-mz.121-20.EW4

Is it a known issue???

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Can you try enabling

"logging even link-status" under interface config mode for that particular interface

You can also set it up for global config to take effect on all the modules and interfaces

Conf t

logging even link-status global

Also make sure you have "terminal mon" configured to see these messages on telnet session.

Try this and I believe it should work.

Regards,

Ankur

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Ankur, I believe this command is not supported in the current IOS that the poster is running "cat4000-i5s-mz.121-20.EW4 ". You need atleast 12.2.25SG to run the " logging event link-status " command under the interface.

Tahseen, Please check if you can run that command and let us know.

I think to solve this problem, you need to upgrade your switch to IOS 12.25SG to run the commands as posted by Ankur and also check the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_2_25s/cmdref/int_sess.htm#wp2089249

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Ankur/Amit

See what u r saying is fine but I would like to tell you that whenever i shut interface manually and make no shut i see the log messages counter increasing by 2 which is right but it doesn't display message,Any comment

Also thanks for the info

Tahseen,

We both agree with you on this. You see the counter incearing under the interface but you dont see " link up/down" log neither when you console nor when you telnet/ssh to the switch. This was a problem in earlier versions that the IOS wasnot logging the link up/down messages, which has been rectified in IOS 12.2.25SG by introducing the command" looging event link status " under the interface mode or in the global config mode.

You are running an older version of IOS in the switch, so I am in doubt if that command is supported.You can upgrade the switch to atleast 12.2.25SG and then use the command as listed and you should be fine with it.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card