Views
Helpful
Replies

Loggings - very urgent

londint
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I am still not able to see any logs coming on to my screen via ssh.

Since we changed from CatOS to CiscoIOS, we have stopped seeing on screen the pagp or %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN messages.

My aim is such that when we connect up a port or remove a port, we want to see which switch port it has come out from to make for easy cable tracing and management.

I have the following configured:

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 60 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns)

Console logging: disabled

Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged

Buffer logging: level debugging, 667 messages logged

Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)

Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled

Trap logging: level informational, 636 message lines logged

Logging to x.x.x.x, 636 message lines logged.

I have done a terminal monitor on m ssh window and still, this does not work. When I do a show terminal, it comes as

Line 1, Location: "", Type: "vt100"

Length: 25 lines, Width: 80 columns

Baud rate (TX/RX) is 9600/9600

Status: PSI Enabled, Ready, Active, No Exit Banner, Ctrl-c Enabled

Automore On, Notify Process

Capabilities: none

Modem state: Ready

Group codes: 0

I don't know if this will help.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Do this on you interface

Conf t

Interface range gig 1/1 - 1/48

logging even link-status

You can laso setit up for global config to take effect on all the modules

Conf t

looging even link-status global

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Do this on you interface

Conf t

Interface range gig 1/1 - 1/48

logging even link-status

You can laso setit up for global config to take effect on all the modules

Conf t

looging even link-status global

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks Amit

Will this command also work on all the fatsethernet intefaces?

Thanks

It will work on the FE ports as well

-amit singh

Thanks again Amit

Any downside to enabling this command?.

And yes i did enable terminal monitor but no result and it is on a Cat6509.

Thanks guys

I dont think so that there is any downside of enabling this command. You should be OK with it.

The only one that I can think of is that it will start logging you the link up/down messages :-)

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi Amit

It comes up as

logging event link-status default and not

logging event link-status global.

Is this ok?

Thanks

Thank you so very much. It worked

adetutu

In CATOS those messages were sent automatically and in IOS they are not. As you pointed out the way to get them normally is to do terminal monitor. I am not clear from your message whether you get some messages when you do terminal monitor but not the port messages or whether you get no messages at all. Perhaps you can clarify?

You posting indicated that logging buffered was enabled. If you do a show log and scroll through the messages are you seeing the port messages in the logging buffer?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

How are you !!

We have to enable command " logging event link-status" under the interfaces in order to see the port up/down message on Cat4500 running IOS. Wihtout this command the switch will not log these messages not even with terminal monitor enabled.

-amit sungh

Hello Amit

Did I miss something? How do we know that he has Cat4500? All I see is a reference to changing from CATOS to IOS.

While I agree that advice about enabling logging event link-status is good advice I also believe that determining whether logging to terminal monitor is working in general or not is also a valid approach to resolve his problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Its both for Cat4500/Cat6500. I forgot to include 6500 in my last post. This is a common problem when you either changes from CatOS to IOS sup on 4500 or covert the Cat6500 chassis from hybrid OS to native IOS.

I agree that to determining whether logging to terminal monitor is working or not, but as per the symptoms above without this command the switch doesnot log in the treminal window.

-amit singh

Thanks Amit

I really appreciate your response. Thank you very much. Will let you know how I get on

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: