Views
Helpful
Replies

Login and Login locally

sham_chennala
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

what is the differance between login and login locally in vtp mode?or any other mode?

4 Replies 4

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

I am a little bit confused, i believe that VTP was a typo and that you meant VTY, if not please correct me.

Anyway if you meant VTY, "login" instructs the router to authenticate using the configured password under the VTY via the "password" command, while "login local" instructs the router to use local configured usernames via the "username x password x" command.

[edit] Further you can use "no login" to tell the router not to ask for a password in anyway.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Sorry,

i meant by VTY. if we are configuring username then only it is applicable "login locally"?

Hi,

No problem, you are very welcomed. Its your call you can secure the VTY lines (for telnet access) via a password only (use "login" and "password x" under the desired VTY lines), or via username(s) and a password(s) (use "login local" under the VTY and "username x password x" in the global configuration, and you can define as usernames as you need, and you can also control the privilege per username in this case), a third option is to use a AAA server.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

I am having 5 Access switches and 2 core switches.In Core Switch one is used for redunduncy,so i want to enable HSRP on the Core Switches Which are all the steps i want to take. Both the switch are 3750series and bothof them having SFP modules. If possible please forward the configuration also

Thanks & Regards,

Sham

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card