cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Login or not to login

schroederh
Level 1
Level 1

When configuring vty lines on a router is it mandatory to use the login command or can we use the telnet connection with just configuring the password alone w/o the login command?

2 Replies 2

By default 'login' is enabled under VTY lines with most, if not all, IOS versions. Therefore, if you just enter the password the router should prompt for password. If you don't want the user to be prompted for a password challenge then 'no login' under the VTY line would take care of that.

HTH

Sundar

Howard

Sundar has taken one approach to answering your question and I think his answer is quite correct. I would like to take a slightly different approach to answering your question.

You ask: can we use the telnet connection with just configuring the password alone w/o the login command?

I would respond that if the VTY do not have the login command then it does not matter whether you configure a password or not. If the login command is not configured on the VTY lines then they will not prompt for and will not require any password to login. If the login command is not configured on the VTY lines then any telnet request is accepted and goes directly into user mode.

So I would also respond that you either need to have both login command and password command or you do no need to have either.

Configuring the VTY lines with the password command but not the login command will not work as you expect it to.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: