cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for Cisco router with SFP's, VPN, and security.

m-jankowski
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for a Cisco router that will give me the same VPN functionality as my Cisco PIX 506-E as well as have multiple SFP slots so I can connect fiber channels directly to my other switches. The router will be on a dual-T1 Level 3 network and will be pushing alot of data.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

2821 router will have better VPN performance that the 506-e, and will accomodate a HWIC-1GE-SFP. However the 2800's only support one of these HWICS. The 3800 series can support 2 of these HWICS, and have much greater VPN performance. How many SFP ports do you require?

View solution in original post

The HWIC-1GE-SFP supports the following SFP modules:

GLC-SX-MM

GLC-LH-SM

GLC-ZX-SM

GLC-T

Also supports the CWDM modules.

Please see below url:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5949/products_qanda_item0900aecd80169bf0.shtml

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

2821 router will have better VPN performance that the 506-e, and will accomodate a HWIC-1GE-SFP. However the 2800's only support one of these HWICS. The 3800 series can support 2 of these HWICS, and have much greater VPN performance. How many SFP ports do you require?

Well.. I would like one for every switch and thats 4 so far. But if I could just tie the other 3 into my one 3560 series and tie that one into the router then it would work.

I just figured I would tie all the switches into the router, but I don't think the difference would be too great performance wise if I tied into the switch then the router.

Now is the HWC-1GB-SFP capable of mating with a CISCO GLC-SX-MMeql 1000BASE-SX short wavelength; without DOM transceiver?

The HWIC-1GE-SFP supports the following SFP modules:

GLC-SX-MM

GLC-LH-SM

GLC-ZX-SM

GLC-T

Also supports the CWDM modules.

Please see below url:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5949/products_qanda_item0900aecd80169bf0.shtml

Ok So my GLC-SX-MM's will work.

I'm reading the product page and this says its a WAN interface card.. Which is nice but can it be used as a LAN(internal) interface?

Hi

It is a gigabit ethernet interface, so you can attach this to your LAN. Configure an IP address on it which resides in the IP subnet of your LAN, and connect it to your switch.

MP

Ok good. Does the router have the same type of interface as my PIX did? I only ask this because its really easy to set up VPN's with my 506E right now and I was hoping it would be the same way.

EDIT: by interface I mean the PDM.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card