Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for suggestions on product selection

smithivre
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

First thanks for taking a look at my post I'm sure you guys are busy, and I appreciate the help. I'll start this off with I'm new to Cisco I've been watching videos online, and start my training course for CCNA: Routing & Switching next Monday so I'm pretty excited I’m currently a Windows Sysadmin so networking isn’t my specialty, but I understand the basics. That being said my timing with this question is a bit off as I'd prefer to go through this course before purchasing some hardware for a solution I need to implement, but I don't have that option. So if someone could please provide some guidance on two situations I would greatly appreciate it.

#1)

I have a small office, and I need to vlan out different users and throttle their bandwidth or set a cap so that it won't go over a specified limit. It would be nice if I could add, and remove this cap as needed, but due to my ignorance I'm not sure how to do that yet or if I can set it so that I can add/remove this limit.

The products I'm thinking about for this office:

Possible router

Cisco RV042G

Possible switch

Cisco sg200

Vlanning out 3 networks mainly to control & monitor two of them.

Vlanning out their wireless, and guest wireless with separate ports on the switch and two separate waps.

#2)

I'd like to build a home lab, and given the new curriculum for Cisco I thought I should ask you guys what to purchase.

Quantity and Model numbers would be much appreciated.

I'd like to build a home lab that could go all the way up to CCNP Security I'm starting on my CCNA Routing and Switching Monday, but will soon be going the security side I just wanted to do routing and switching first so I have a good foundation.

Thank you for your time in advanced.

Robert

1 Reply 1

smithivre
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card