Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Looking for suggestions on product selection

Hello everyone,

First thanks for taking a look at my post I'm sure you guys are busy, and I appreciate the help. I'll start this off with I'm new to Cisco I've been watching videos online, and start my training course for CCNA: Routing & Switching next Monday so I'm pretty excited I’m currently a Windows Sysadmin so networking isn’t my specialty, but I understand the basics. That being said my timing with this question is a bit off as I'd prefer to go through this course before purchasing some hardware for a solution I need to implement, but I don't have that option. So if someone could please provide some guidance on two situations I would greatly appreciate it.

#1)

I have a small office, and I need to vlan out different users and throttle their bandwidth or set a cap so that it won't go over a specified limit. It would be nice if I could add, and remove this cap as needed, but due to my ignorance I'm not sure how to do that yet or if I can set it so that I can add/remove this limit.

The products I'm thinking about for this office:

Possible router

Cisco RV042G

Possible switch

Cisco sg200

Vlanning out 3 networks mainly to control & monitor two of them.

Vlanning out their wireless, and guest wireless with separate ports on the switch and two separate waps.

#2)

I'd like to build a home lab, and given the new curriculum for Cisco I thought I should ask you guys what to purchase.

Quantity and Model numbers would be much appreciated.

I'd like to build a home lab that could go all the way up to CCNP Security I'm starting on my CCNA Routing and Switching Monday, but will soon be going the security side I just wanted to do routing and switching first so I have a good foundation.

Thank you for your time in advanced.

Robert

1 REPLY

Looking for suggestions on product selection

Anyone?

Views
Helpful
Replies