Views
Helpful
Replies

LSAs Types

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Could any help me on different types of LSAs in OSPF. I would like to know whats the content of these LSAs Type 1 , Type 2 , Type 3 , Type 4 , Type 5 and Type7.

regards

Neo

1 Reply 1

s-sheffield
Level 1
Level 1

Type 1 is a router LSA. They are produced by every router and are flooded only within the area in which they originated.

Type 2 is a network LSA. They are produced by the DR and represents a pseudonode (virtual).

It lists all attached routers and is only flooded within originating area.

Type 3 is a Network summary LSA. They are produced by an ABR. They are sent into a single area to advertise destinations outside it.

Type 4 is an ASBR Summary LSA. They are produced by an ABR. They are the same as a type 3 but advertise the destination to an ASBR not a network. This will be a host address as it is a route to a router.

Type 5 is an AS External LSA . Produced by an ASBR and advertise external destinations (outside the OSPF AS) or a default route. They are flooded within the AS.

Type 7 is a NSSA External LSA. Originated by an ASBR within a not so stubby area. It is like a type 5 but instead of it being flooded within the AS it is only flooded within the NSSA where it came from.

I hope this is of help

please rate if so

Stu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card