Views
Helpful
Replies

Mac Address Support

rahul nair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I was going through the Data Sheet of 3750 x series switches , which we are planning to use as a core switch in  particular .

As i was glancing through the section that denotes Maximum Mac Address Support , i came across something like this :

Access

Routing

VLAN

Unicast MAC addresses

What does each of these fields mean (Sorry i am new to this ) ?

How much Mac Addresses can this switch support ?

Thanks & Regards ,

Rahul Nair.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rahul,

Those numbers are determined by the SDM template that is applied to the switch. The different templates available configure system resources depending on the deployment scenario. There is also a template to allow for IPv4 and IPv6 routing.

In your case, 'sdm prefer routing' is the the one you would use.

Search for 'configure sdm templates' with the IOS version you are plannning to deploy to learn more.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

You have to think about how many MAC-addresses your switch sees. If you don't have an additional distribution-layer, then the routing-template wouldn't be enough. But in that case, the 3750x wouldn't be the right device anyhow. If you have another distribution-layer, then the core doesn't see the MAC-addresses of the end-PCs and the routing-layer would be ok. But I would still ask myself how to transport the traffic of 3000 users through a 3750-X.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rahul,

Those numbers are determined by the SDM template that is applied to the switch. The different templates available configure system resources depending on the deployment scenario. There is also a template to allow for IPv4 and IPv6 routing.

In your case, 'sdm prefer routing' is the the one you would use.

Search for 'configure sdm templates' with the IOS version you are plannning to deploy to learn more.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb ,

Thanks for your reply !.

So that means , if i would be using it as a core , with VLAN SVIs configured and inter-vlan routing enabled  , i would be getting about 3000 Mac-Addresses support.

Which essentially means that my network could support only 3000 users . Is that the right conclusion?

Thanks ,

Rahul

Infact i think it would be best to go with the "Default" template , as it would dynamically manage things,

P.S i have about 3000 users in my network.

You have to think about how many MAC-addresses your switch sees. If you don't have an additional distribution-layer, then the routing-template wouldn't be enough. But in that case, the 3750x wouldn't be the right device anyhow. If you have another distribution-layer, then the core doesn't see the MAC-addresses of the end-PCs and the routing-layer would be ok. But I would still ask myself how to transport the traffic of 3000 users through a 3750-X.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

OK..Got it.

Thanks Karsten and seb..It was really insightful.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card