Views
Helpful
Replies

mac address

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

It may stupid question to all, why we should clear mac-address on particular switch-port, what is the use and advantage by clear mac-address.

Thanks in advance,

Naidu.

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Naidu

Not a stupid question at all. There are times when it is very useful to be able to clear the mac-address mapped to a switchport for example if you remove a device from a switchport and insert another device which uses a different mac-address. You can wait for the mac-address to age out but sometimes it is more efficient to remove the old mac-address straight away.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks 4 ur early reply,

One more reservation that each switch port have its own mac-address am i right / not? so when we connect one device in one switch-port then there will be 2 mac-address club then what? 2 mac-address will work?

Naidu.

Well Switches are designed in 2 ways.

On switches each port may have its own mac-address

or

every port share the same mac address they way L2 switch IP does.

But I've seen most of Cisco switches are configured with diffrent mac-addresses for every port.

HTH

Abbas

Hi Abbas,

Good diverse thanks,

What you mean by that different mac-addresses for every port can u tell briefly so that I can get clear.

Naidu.

Well I mean every port has its own mac-address rather they share the same mac-address

HI Naidu,

Not each Switch Port will have one MAC Address whereas Switch will have the one MAC Address.

You can Bind the MAC Address to the Switch Port using Port Security Feature in Cisco.

So at any point of time, Switch will have the Only one MAC Address as Hardware ID for it and Connected Devices to the Switch Port will have the MAC Address Binded to it logically.

Hope this Helps

DO RATE ALL HELPFUL POSTS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru Prasad,

You mean all mac-address club in to single mac address.

You told that we can Bind the MAC Address to the Switch Port using Port Security Feature in Cisco can you tell how we can Bind the MAC Address.

Can you explain briefly about Bind Mac Address, Port Security Feature.

Regards,

Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: