Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mac binding by auto reading

Dear Xperts....

I want the MAC binding on my Cisco 2960 switch in such a way that it reads all the mac address of the cisco IP phones connected and binds it. Further is it possible to read the MAC address of the PCs connected to those few of the phones and bind it or i have to enter the MACs manually.

I was bit confused in static and dynamic bindining stuffs so posting here.....please help with the commands to be run in config mode....thanks

Nitesh

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

you can use  the origin file under each pool(phone pool and pc pool) if it is supported on the 2960.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/ip_addr/configuration/guide/htdhcpsv.html#wp1117976

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Should i use static dynamic static or sticky mac binding....

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi,

It seems I completely misunderstood your requirements.

It seems you are referring to the port-security feature and in which case you can take a look at this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swtrafc.html#wp1038501

You should set the maximum MACaddresses to 3 and use sticky dynamic to save the learnt MAC addresses in the running-config.

Regards

Alain

The syntax would be

In config t, using the MAC address above, you can bound  the IP to the MAC:

arp xx.xx.xx.xx yyyy.yyyy.yyyy.yyyy arpa(x = IP y = MAC)

You will be able to Telnet to the device  and complete the network configuration. For sites that did not have  switches, you can turn on Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) debugging in  therouter (only if the sites had fewer other devices and low traffic): debug arp.

Clear the arp table: clear arp.

Simply monitor the debug session for the devices to appear in the router log (referring to the first four digits of the MACaddress). Turn off debug: no debug all.

In config t, using the MAC address found in the log, the IP binding can be done:

arp xx.xx.xx.xx yyyy.yyyy.yyyy.yyyy arpa(x = IP y = MAC

Sample output from the lab:

====================

2950(config)#arp 192.168.2.1 aaaa.bbbb.cccc arpa fa0/1

Hope this answers your question.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card