Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC flapping

Jacek Tymoczko
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem with MAC flapping on one of my switches. I didn't setup that environment and I founded that recently. I think person which was in company before made there mistake with configuration.

Below here is a picture how it is connected. Basically from server to switch there is 2 cables going and they are using the samne VLAN.

ScreenShot149.png

On the picture I pasted config of switchports and output from syslog.

What I'm thinking is to make this two switchport in one EtherChannel using channel-group command. What do You think ??

Best Regards, Jacek

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Well, I think that etherchannel with "mode on" should work in this kind of environment...give it a try. Also, check on this link if everything about bonding is OK with your linux:

http://www.charleshooper.net/blog/link-aggregation-on-a-redhat-centos-server-and-a-cisco-catalyst-switch

It's for CentOS but I suppose it's similar for every other Linux...

I suppose you know how to configure etherchannel on Cisco side...

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

View solution in original post

Hello

Etherchannel would be a good way to proceed using LACP (channel-mode active) however, in the meantime remove portfast from the access ports and let stp negociate.

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

That should be great if your server environment with NICs on it support etherchannel - virtual hypervisor support that with their virtual switches, everything else you typically need NIC vendor software with options to configure etherchannel...

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

It is a typical Dell server and it has bond setup:

[jtymoczko@lsrv02 ~]$ sudo /sbin/ifconfig

bond1     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1B:21:47:2A:FC

inet addr:172.21.21.1  Bcast:172.21.21.3  Mask:255.255.255.252

inet6 addr: fe80::21b:21ff:fe47:2afc/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MASTER MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:382319127 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:373617301 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:57752960147 (53.7 GiB)  TX bytes:57012937617 (53.0 GiB)

Well, I think that etherchannel with "mode on" should work in this kind of environment...give it a try. Also, check on this link if everything about bonding is OK with your linux:

http://www.charleshooper.net/blog/link-aggregation-on-a-redhat-centos-server-and-a-cisco-catalyst-switch

It's for CentOS but I suppose it's similar for every other Linux...

I suppose you know how to configure etherchannel on Cisco side...

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Hello

Etherchannel would be a good way to proceed using LACP (channel-mode active) however, in the meantime remove portfast from the access ports and let stp negociate.

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks guys,

Next week I have planned maintenance window and I'm planning to introduce EtherChannel on that.

We will see how it works.

BR, JT

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco