cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac forwarding database

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone tell me about the mac database on my switches, I know it maps a mac to a port, but what about the uplinks to other switches, does it cache all mac addresses that go to the other switches? and is it all cleared when the switches are rebooted ?

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, any MAC addreses it sees on the uplinks are also added to the database. If your network is more than just a couple of switches, and if you do a show mac-address, you will probably see most of the MAC addresses are on the uplinks.

When a switch sees an interface go down, it will clear all the MAC entries that are on that port. If a switch reboots that is not directly connected to the one you are looking at, the MAC entries are not cleared immediately. Instead, the Spanning-Tree sends out a "Topology Change Notification", and this causes the switch to set a 15 second aging time on the MAC table entries.

Does that answer your question OK?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

yes thats great, thanks for your help

Carl

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco