Views
Helpful
Replies

Managed Switches

helal_ibrahim
Level 1
Level 1
explanation concerning managed switches :
If my network consists  of several managed switches (CISCO and other vendors) does the SNMP  software of CISCO monitor all these switches if they support SNMP?.
7 Replies 7

flokki123
Level 3
Level 3

hi,

as the snmp service is not propritary to cisco all devices in your network, which support snmp, should be able to communicate with your snmp software.

i have never worked with cisco software, but with software of other vendors and it always worked fine even with devices from other vendors, and cant imagen that its different with cisco, so i would say it should work.

florian

Yes.. as flokki123 pointed out, since SNMP is an Open standard protocol it should support.

just make sure that

1. the other vendor switch has the snmp agent running on their devies to hear to the commands from the snmp manager

2. you have IP connectivity to the devices.

-Vijay

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

helal helal wrote:

explanation concerning managed switches :
If my network consists  of several managed switches (CISCO and other vendors) does the SNMP  software of CISCO monitor all these switches if they support SNMP?.

While SNMP is an open protocol and has numerous defaults, Cisco-specific SNMP software for network management might not play "nice" with other vendor switches.

It will certainly doa  basic SNMP walk and discover based on the Csico MIBs and the "default' MIBs, but other vendor switches might not support these MIBs so you might not get full visibility of all ports/features from the non-Cisco switches.

You should certainly be able to get the basics - it'll just depend on how "standard" the other vendor MIBs are.

Cheers.

Hi,

I'm afraid  "You should certainly be able to get the basics - it'll just depend on how "standard" the other vendor MIBs are." is not 100% correct.

AFAIK, Cisco SNMP software like CiscoWorks family simply ignores any non-Cisco device :-(

This was one of the reasons I stopped using CiscoWorks several years ago.

Maybe Cisco changed the policy in the lastes sw, but I never heard that...

HTH,

Milan

milan.kulik wrote:

Hi,

I'm afraid  "You should certainly be able to get the basics - it'll just depend on how "standard" the other vendor MIBs are." is not 100% correct.

AFAIK, Cisco SNMP software like CiscoWorks family simply ignores any non-Cisco device :-(

This was one of the reasons I stopped using CiscoWorks several years ago.

Maybe Cisco changed the policy in the lastes sw, but I never heard that...

HTH,

Milan

You could be right - I've never used Cisco works (and, AFAIK, it's not even available anymore), always used more public domain/open source solutions and integrated Cisco MIB's into them.

Cheers.

thank you all for your help ,,, but unfortunally i didn't get what i am looking for ....

will the CiscoWorks new version manage other vendor's switches ??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card