Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Management Station ICMP Fails when Primary Network Is Down

Hello, I'm running into a strange problem. We have a management station setup that pings (ICMP) certain devices across the network. When the primary or backup network fail, sometimes I can not ping the devices from the manangement station. The devices are still up but the management station can not see them. This is not a routing issue as I can reach all other devices on the same subnet fine. I suspected this had something to do with "ip redirects" but I haven't had any sucess. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it might be?

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Management Station ICMP Fails when Primary Network Is Down

Indicates that your system can transmit to the target address using a gateway, but that the gateway cannot forward the packet properly because either a device is misconfigured or the gateway is not operating.

The tracked object (primary ISP gateway) is down, and ICMP echos fail. the primary ISP gateway that is used as the monitoring target is managed by the ISP and is located on the other side of the ISP link. This configuration ensures that if the ICMP echos that are sent by the monitoring operation fail, the ISP link is almost surely down

Views
Helpful
Replies