Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Management Subnet... To route or not to route...

Yo,

So, I am going through the process of laying out management IP address's for a Datacenter and was wondering if I could get some or your opinions... After reading on the topic,

I have seen 2 different schools of thought...

A management VLAN that is trunked to all switches in the datacenter... This approach is simple, yet , I see some weakness therein:

• Single broadcast domain (unless you implement multiple Management VLAN's and subnets)
  • All devices rely on the same device(s) for there default GW & associated routing functions
  • etc...

So, the other approach is to use management VLAN's on L2 devices and use Loopback's on L3 devices... This solution addresses some of the weaknesses above, yet add's some complexity:

• Requires the involvement of (a) routing protocol\static routes
  • Routed interfaces upstream to form IGP adjacencies over, thus disallowing L2 to extend from one Top of Rack switch to another
    • OR
  • Selecting a transit VLAN, assigning a /31 range to neighbors and routing over that VLAN
    • This approach is nice in that it maintains the ability for VLAN trunking to\through L3 switches
  • Full routing tables on these devices where, for the most part, they and downstream devices will be more L2 focused
    • One could, using Stub routing, eliminate the full routing table overhead, but that actually adds to the overhead:
      • If OSPF was the IGP, then you would need to create a "management" area for loopback managed device's to allow you to implement Totally stubby area benefits...
  • Etc...

So, what are your thoughts? Which approach do you all use\prefer?

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content