Views
Helpful
Replies

Management SVI Nexus 5548

velo84
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I want to configure management for some Nexus 5548's and have a couple of questions which I was hoping for some help on.

I wanted to manage the switches via an SVI.  I have read the following document which gives details about the Management SVI but doesn't answer all questions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/513_n1_1/b_Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_513_N1_1_chapter_0100.html#task_71991D8EFFB54DAB893C5E0855FF7AFD

I am not running any layer 3 functionality on the switch, no layer3 license (which it mentions in the above link) Will I still be able to create a management SVI.  I know I will need to enable the feature 'interface-vlan' to setup a Management SVI, does that require a license?

Thanks

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can have single VLAN without the L3 license. Please see below output on my L2 only Nexus 5020 (no L3 capability on this box):

N5K-3# sh ver

... SNIP ...

Software

BIOS:      version 1.3.0

loader:    version N/A

kickstart: version 5.0(3)N2(2)

system:    version 5.0(3)N2(2)

... SNIP ...

Hardware

cisco Nexus5020 Chassis ("40x10GE/Supervisor")

... SNIP ...

N5K-3# sh run int vl 1

!Command: show running-config interface Vlan1

!Time: Thu Aug 16 19:54:57 2012

version 5.0(3)N2(2)

interface Vlan1

no shutdown

ip address 1.1.1.1/24

HTH<

jerry

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've not tested management SVI in any deployment but feature interface-vlan doesn't require a L3 or special license.

HTH,

jerry

Thanks for the reply Jerry, do you know why it says this in the link I posted in my original post? "Install the Layer 3 license"

Thanks

Configuring a VLAN as a Routed SVI

You can configure a VLAN to be a routed switch virtual interface (SVI).

Before You Begin

You can have single VLAN without the L3 license. Please see below output on my L2 only Nexus 5020 (no L3 capability on this box):

N5K-3# sh ver

... SNIP ...

Software

BIOS:      version 1.3.0

loader:    version N/A

kickstart: version 5.0(3)N2(2)

system:    version 5.0(3)N2(2)

... SNIP ...

Hardware

cisco Nexus5020 Chassis ("40x10GE/Supervisor")

... SNIP ...

N5K-3# sh run int vl 1

!Command: show running-config interface Vlan1

!Time: Thu Aug 16 19:54:57 2012

version 5.0(3)N2(2)

interface Vlan1

no shutdown

ip address 1.1.1.1/24

HTH<

jerry

Thanks a lot for your help Jerry.

I'm assuming it can be any VLAN for the one SVI and not specific to VLAN 1 right? E.g I would want to set it up on VLAN 10.

Thank you

Yes, this is correct. You can use different VLAN ID. You also have to create a default route also.

Regards,

jerry

That's great, thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card