Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

management vlan

Hi all

I want to set up a management vlan for my switches, Firstly I know vlan 1 is native (untagged), So would I make say another vlan native for my user traffic, how do I do this, and would I put the vlan 1 management on another subnet, if so would I need to create a trunk to my router and use a subinterface for management, thats if I had no layer 3 switches ?

thanks

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: management vlan

Carl,

To make another vlan as the native vlan, configure the trunk ports as the following:

Conf t

int gig x/y

switchport trunk native vlan

You can make any vlan as the management vlan on the switch.Just give it an IP address and " no shut" under the vlan interface. Even if the switch is layer 2, you can assign an ip to its vlan interface just for managing it. For inter-vlan routing you need a L3 device.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Re: management vlan

thanks for that, so if I do use a different ip subnet for the management vlan, I can use a trunk to a router and subinterface, of layer 3 switch right ?

Views
Helpful
Replies