cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

managing switch

bethamprashanth
Level 1
Level 1

as we know vlan1 is default & native vlan,VLAN1 is used only for Management. & for VLAN1 we assign as IP Address for Management of Switch in remote.

1. I would like to know what are operations we manage on switches. following r the operation that i know correct me if I'm wrong: operations like taking backup, verify configuration detail. and i also request you to add some operation we perform and when & why we perform.

2. what information does vlan1 carrys

what i know is it carry vtp advertisement.

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

We manage switches for making any configuration changes, for any troubleshooting purpose, to get the stats of an interface etc etc.

Vlan 1 carries VTP, CDP , Stp bpdus etc.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

In addition to Ankur's post Cisco best practice says not to use vlan 1 as management or for the native vlan. As a rule you should

1) Use a different vlan for management and shutdown vlan 1 interface.

2) Allocate all unused ports to a non-routed vlan - we use vlan 998 where i work.

3) Allocate a non-routed vlan for use as the native vlan - we use vlan 999.

Vlan 1 has some specific issues with it in terms of security and hence it is recommended not to use it. VTP, CDP & PAGP will still be carried on vlan 1 even if you don't use it.

HTH

Jon

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

In addition to above posts , it is a layer 2 device then you need to specify "ip deafilt-gateway " for reachability from outisde users which are in different vlan's.

Thanks,

Satish

bethamprashanth
Level 1
Level 1

firstly, I thank you all. You all have given me great information.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card