Views
Helpful
Replies

Managment VLAN issues

michael4702
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two 6500 cats sitting as the core of my network, linked by a 3 gig ether channel. These are working fine.

I am introducing two new 6500's to my network to create a square backbone. But at present I am using these two new 6500's as simple dumb edge switches. They hang off my second ORIGINAL 6500 via a 4 gig ether channel in a daisy chain formation. Just as if they were edge devises. They seem to work fine, trunking VLAN information etc.

My problem is I can not ping or telnet to them unless I connect to a Cisco switch on our existing network. I can not ping or telnet to them from a normal PC.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Mike.

5 Replies 5

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

if the 6500 is used as a "dumb edge switch" you might need a L3 device doing the routing between PC VLAN and 6500 management VLAN, i.e. where the IP address resides. Also make sure the new 6500 does have a proper default gateway assigned. Last not least make sure the IP address/mask settings are correct. But I am assuming this is ok, as you would not be able to telnet into the box from another switch.

Regards, Martin

The two orignal CAT's have routers in them, E.G. the layer 3 routing is done by these.

All ip addresses and gateways are in place and set up correctly.

This is just a strange one, perhaps the config of the ether channel is incorrect or something

Any one?

Hi

Can u verify weather the management vlan is allowed on this ether-channel.In addition check weather u have any access-list configured.

Thanks

Mahmood

There are no access lists configured.

"Can u verify weather the management vlan is allowed on this ether-channel"

I do not know if the managment Vlan is allowed on this ether channel!! What would the command be to allow it? Do i need to wright a command to allow it? Does it just not pass the managment VLAN by default?

Many thanks.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card