Views
Helpful
Replies

Manipulating VLANs Quickly on Catalyst 3550 - All int on indepentant VLAN

kmgermann
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

First off - Glad to now finally be a part of the CSC.

Might I first start by adding this is a somewhat odd request for anything outside of a datacenter. I am attempting to create a mass upgrade server for some of our more standardized equipment since our vender cannot upgrade them pre-shipping for us, we've got to do them on our own. This means using a terribly organized wizard written in what appears to be Java...

Needless to say, I have an aversion to Windows and felt that I could accomplish the same thing using expect scripts and a Gentoo Linux server; now all I need is to set my Cisco 3550 (c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin) to have each port on it's own VLAN, except for fa0/1 which will be a trunk port to communicate with all ports as well as the server.

Any ideas, besides writing an elongated version of what is below?:

int fa0/2

sw ac vl 2

int fa0/3

sw ac vl 3

int fa0/4

sw ac vl 4

int fa0/5

sw ac vl 5

int fa0/6

I would be quite a hassle writing that for all 23 ports... (24th being a trunk thus not as annoyingly repetative).

Thanks in advance,

Kris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No there is no easy way to do that if each port has to be in a different vlan .   Even if you have to do all of them it shouldn't take more than 3-4 minutes, type the first one in then just hit the up arrow which brings up what you just typed  and modify the ports and vlan numbers  for each one shouldnt take more than 3-4 minutes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No there is no easy way to do that if each port has to be in a different vlan .   Even if you have to do all of them it shouldn't take more than 3-4 minutes, type the first one in then just hit the up arrow which brings up what you just typed  and modify the ports and vlan numbers  for each one shouldnt take more than 3-4 minutes.

kmgermann
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you glen.grant, I'll have to work on that and let you know how it goes.

If you had many ports you could use Excel to auto populate the cells then copy that into notepad..but the time spent in excel doing this you could be done as Glen wrote with good ol notepad.

Kris Germann wrote:

Thank you glen.grant, I'll have to work on that and let you know how it goes.

Kris.

Write it all up in a text file using a decent editor which supports macro's/scripted replace, then copy and paste it to the switch.

I've done that on numerous occasions - built a "template" in a text file, then just used a decent text editor (notepad++ or Textpad for Windows, VIM or EMACS or SED for *Nix), setup the changes, merged the template with the changes and output a completed config to be pasted into the switch - hell, if you format it right, you can even generate something you can TFTP to the switch/router (you have to be careful to dump *all* the config, including defaults, if you want to do this).

Cheers.

Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card