Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Max Number of VLANs on a 6509-E

Hi all

Many thanks to those that responded to my last discussion. Yet, to test that design in production although lab testing has proved to be fruitful.

Anyway, probably a silly question but always interested to hear others opinions. We have the need to create a large number of VLANs on one of our networks. We're talking about 60! These will all terminate on a pair of 6509-E switches (building core). We use MSTP as a standard on our network so I'm going to stick with that so that we can dramatically reduce the number of STP instances needed. However, regarding the SVIs (default gateways) is there any reason why creating 60 of these guys would be considerd a big no-no? Or would you expect the 6509s to deal with them like a boss?

Many thanks for your replies.

All the best

4 REPLIES

Im no expert, but ive been doing somethign similar with a C2960 (with the layer 3 update). Ive simulated some trafic down it and Ive had no issues (50 SVI's in my case). So I reccon your beast should handle it

Should not be a problem at all we have over 80 Vlan's on a 6509 and works just fine.

Mike

Fantastic guys! Thank you for your fast response on this.

Cheers.

Purple

Re: Max Number of VLANs on a 6509-E

We used to run 80 vlans on the old 6500 hybrid boxes without an issue in a client/server environment .  Worked fine and had very few issues with the whole setup. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content