cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of FHRP Instances on 4500 (SUP 6-LE)

Mark Rigby
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, we currently have a 4006 chassis that is due for a forklift upgrade, the existing switch is part of a mirrored pair which forms our distribution layer, we are looking to replace both switches with 4500-E equivilants.

Each switch presently has 90 SVI's configured, each SVI is configured for HSRP as such we also have 90 HSRP instances per switch in a standard configuration as per the statement below.

interface Vlan869

ip address 10.82.62.2 255.255.255.128

no ip redirects

standby 1 ip 10.82.62.1

standby 1 priority 110

standby 1 preempt

!

interface Vlan870

ip address 10.82.62.130 255.255.255.128

no ip redirects

standby 1 ip 10.82.62.129

standby 1 priority 100

standby 1 preempt

Just to clarrify really as i know that the 3750 models have a limit of 32 HSRP instances per switch, would i be correct in thinking that the 4500 models can support upto 256 instances...to be clear i am not refering too HSRP ID's.

Regards

5 Replies 5

gfcisco31
Level 1
Level 1

HI Mate... as far as i know you are allowed to reuse the HSRP group ids on each VLAN.  The thing about the max groups is PER vlan, and you have a limit of 256 PER vlan.... which should be more than enough !

i hope this helps

cheers

Thank you for your reply, i appreciate what you're saying but im not referancing HSRP group ID's but the number of instances of FHRP that can executed on a switch simultaneously.

On our switches we have 90 VLAN's, 90 SVI's, each SVI will be configured as standard with a HSRP group id of 1 as per the the original post however on the 3750 switches that we have once we try and configure the 33rd SVI we receive an error message.

"ERROR: %Platform already has maximum FHRP groups configured"

The 3750 documentation states:

"HSRP can be configured on a maximum of 32 VLAN or routing interfaces."

However my problem is that i cant find in the documentation for the SUP 6-LE whether this limit has been increased, one would assume that it will allow more than 32 instances in-line with the capabilities of our existing 4006 chassis to provide a natural upgrade path to the newer platform.

Unfortunately i dont have access to a 4500 to test this theory, we have 6500's but they are in production and cant be altered.

hi MArk..

I gotcha...  i know that 3550 for example is limited to 32 hsrp instances... if your getting this messages looks like your platform has the same limitation....  only hardware updagre would help you.

Regards

Indeed as per my original question, will the SUP 6-LE installed in a 4500-E chassis support more than 32 FHRP instances?

That only a TAC engineer will be able to help.... i could not find any documentation in the internet that specifies any improvevements in HSRP instances with this module.

sorry dude..

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card