Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Maximum Spanning-tree distance?

Hi, I heard talks about the spanning-tree distance to be max 7. Is this still true? It has a uge impact on the design we are making.

Thx!

Marc

• LAN Switching and Routing
5 REPLIES

Re: Maximum Spanning-tree distance?

You have a network that is more than 7 hops diameter? Wow!

In principle, you should be able to set your timers to cope with a diameter greater than 7 hops. The "root" macro will not help you wih more than 7 hops - you will have to do the calculations yourself.

But it will converge at snails-pace. Frankly I would urge you to reconsider your design if you have a layer-2 that spans more than 7 hops.

I wonder if there is a misunderstanding here. Do do mean hops-in-a-line and not total switches, don't you?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I mean hops-in-a-line, total switches is about 150 +

Cisco Employee

Hi Marc,

Let me try to put my thaughts.If you have a core switch and connected to this switch are 10 switches so each switch has one connection to the core switch this is a diameter of 1.

It's not the number of switches it's how the are connected. So

core switch -> switch1 -> switch2 -> switch3.

If you have switches connected in the above fashion then your diameter is 3. Does your topology goes 7 line above?

With IEEE 802.1d,recommended consideration when designing the network with STP is not more than 7 hops. On the default timer parameters STP is expected to work fine till 7 hops. Beyond 7 hops the STP will work but it might bit a little hard to predict the behaviour of the STP, which might result in a lots of network problems. From an individual switch perspective like from the root bridge the STP diameter should not be more than 7 hops away.

If you are following Cisco's 3-tier hierarchical design you will never be exceeding the STP diameter.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi is there a command to calculate the STP distance? Or must I simply calculate it by hand?

Thx,

Marc

IMHO

In bpdu we have max-age which in decreasing from hop to hop by one.

by default max-age is 20

for stability you need that last hop receive bpdu with max-edge not less then 3.

so you can have a chain from 17 switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094954.shtml

Views
Helpful
Replies