Views
Helpful
Replies

Medianet Configuration

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I am about to implement a new LAN infrastructure for a customer which uses Catalyst 3750X switches for the core/server farm and Catalyst 2960S switches for the access layer.

The network will support Cisco 7945 IP phones, softphones (Lync or Jabber - decision yet to be made) plus some video conferencing units from various manufacturers including Lifesize.

I have been reading about Medianet but cannot find much detail that shows how I should implement it on this new infrastructure.

If anyone has links to good examples for these Catalyst switches I would appreciate them sharing.

I also have some questions:

1. Does Medianet require any management products or are these optional?
  2. Should I be using SmartPort macros?
  3. How do I configure support for Jabber which I understand to be an intelligent endpoint that can communicate with the network?
  4. What do I need to do to implement prioritisation of certain video streams above others (e.g. CEO broadcast over youtube surfing)

I have read all the marketing material about Medianet but am struggling to translate this into detailed implementation guidelines.

Thanks    

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

I believe AutoQoS on later 3750-Xs and 2960Ss (with later IOS versions), support the Medianet recommendations.  Might save you some configuration work; still expect you'll need to map some of your traffic into the desired Medianet classes.

#1 Don't believe you're required to have any management production, but those that are optional can be helpful.

#2 Perhaps, although many are really designed to work best with Cisco devices.  So, for example, might be useful on ports with Cisco IP phone, less so with Brand-X.

#4  Have different treatment classes, classify the traffic differently, treat the traffic differently.  (NB: 3750 and 2960 families are limited to how many traffic distinctive handling they can provide.)

Joseph,

Thanks for the reply. I am still looking for configuration exaples for the Catlyst 3750X and 2960S

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Have you then tried AutoQoS on either device?

Have you seen: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND_40/QoSCampus_40.html#wp1098448 ?

Or, have you seen: http://www.cisco.com/web/solutions/medianet/knowledgebase/index.html ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card