cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory Upgrade on a Sup2-2GE.

wesweber1
Level 1
Level 1

I have several 6500's with sup2-2GE with MSFC2. they currently are running hybrid CatOS and IOS. I want to convert to just IOS. In order to do that I need to increase the memory from 32MB flash to 64MB flash. If I use a PCMCIA card in the slot with the new IOS, can I boot the IOS from the PCMCIA card?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You would have to look at the release notes of the IOS code version you want to run to see what the minimum requirements are.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you should be able as long as you point your boot statement there . Follow the upgrade instructions for catos conversion to the letter.

the current switches are running 32MB of Flash and 128MB of DRAM. I know the PC card will cover the Flash, but will I need to upgrade the DRAM also?

You would have to look at the release notes of the IOS code version you want to run to see what the minimum requirements are.

the min dram is 256M, I have 128M, so I'll have to upgrade. But there is dram on the sup card and the msfc2 card. Do I have to upgrade the dram on both?

Yes, you need upgrade both.

The following link will give you more info.

The last Q&A is about Sup2 and MSFC2.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_c67_457347.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card