Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro ethernet and ethernet

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I am new to metro ethernet concept. Can someone give me a head start and also, what are the differences in ME switches and normal switches ?

6 Replies 6

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

why we cant use 3560x/3750x switches for metro ethernet ?

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jonn,

This is a very vast question. I believe that you'd benefit from having a good look at the following presentations about Carrier Ethernet which is an incarnation of Metro Ethernet:

http://metroethernetforum.org/carrier-ethernet/presentations

The 3560/3750 switches would be partially applicable in Metro Ethernet applications; however, they do not support more complex tagging/untagging/retagging operations required by Metro Ethernet services, they do not support 802.1ah MAC-in-MAC (Provider Backbone Bridges) standard, the support for 802.1ad Q-in-Q is quite limited, they have no support for Ethernet OAM at all - to name just a few.

Please feel welcome to ask further but your primary stop should be the set of presentation on the page above, as it may answer lots of your questions right away.

Best regards,

Peter

Sir, to be honest i tried to read above presentations and they were a bit complex :-(. I will continue reading but i have a quick question,

MPLS layer 2 vpns are alternatives to metro ethernet ? i mean lets say if a customer wants 5 of his sites on the same broadcast domain (vlan) then we usually use EoMPLS or VPLS, so why do i need a metro ethernet ?

Basically what i am trying to ask is that is metro ethernet mandatory for MPLS services to work or we can simply have customers without ME ?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Peter wrote, Metro Ethernet is a vast topic.  However, from a non-provider perspective, the idea is to allow interconnecting widely physically separated (your) site networks just about as simply and similar to connecting your LAN together at one of your sites.  I.e. you just connect different (your) site devices with an Ethernet connection, and you use that connection pretty much like you would any other Ethernet link between your devices.

From a carrier or MAN provider perspective, running a widely distributed, multiple customer Metro Ethernet (or a carrier Ethernet) network, you'll want some features not found in (as you say) "normal" Ethernet equipment.

What's different about Metro Ethernet switches is they generally offer features not found in "normal" Ethernet switches.  Again, from a non-provider perspective, you often only need/desire a few additional features (and for that reason, it's not uncommon for non-providers to use "normal" Ethernet switches with Metro E - I've also seen Metro E switches used with "ordinary" LAN Ethernet networks).  From a provider's (carrier's) perceptive, you'll really want more features.  Because of these two perspectives, you'll often find Metro Ethernet switches marketed to non-providers, and Carrier Grade Ethernet switches marketed to the MAN Ethernet providers.

And sir can we provide these services via MPLS ? i mean it also provide EoMPLS and other layer 2 services so why would service provider needs to go with metro ethernet ?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Sure, Metro E is can be delivered across a provider MPLS network, and probably is unless it's a small provider network.  If the latter, provider equipment and configuration should be a little less expensive and a little less complex to configure on Metro E devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card