cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro Ethernet ATT with Nexus 7000

broow
Level 1
Level 1

we are setting up our first ATT metro ethernet connection.  I have a Cisco 2960S at the remote site and I placed a Cisco 2960 on the Host site to test and had no issues.  When I moved the  Host site to our Nexus 7000, I can not get a link..  both sides are set as trunks,

anything special about why it will not come up when connected to the 7K?

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the nexus interface also a Gig interface? What type of line card do you have in Nexus?

Yes it is a gig interface, I have also tried hard setting the speed and duplex.

Blade is an 48 port N7K-M148GS-11

1000 Mbps Optical Ethernet Module

the interface does not support the no nogotiate command.  I don't think the 7K support that option

If you don't have a link light, try switching the fiber strands around.  You maybe connecting RX to TX. It is harder with LC type connectors, but possible.

Also, I think VTP is turned off by default on Nexus devices, but it should work since the 2960 is configured with nonegotiate.  That means the interface is not sending any DTP frames.

HTH

I feel the fiber cable is correct, it works when I plug into a 2960,  I also have a case open with ATT to see if there are any special setup to connect to the 7K.  Not sure what configuration I should use for the VTP you mentioned.

You shouldn't need to configure any VTP command. If one side of the interface is configured with trunk (nexus in your case) and the other side is configured with nonegotiate (2960) the trunk should come up.

Can you configure both side as an access switch and test?  If successful, this will tell us that there is something wrong with trunk negotiation.

Each side of the circuit connects to a device at ATT.  The 2960 switch connects and shows a connected state on it's interface.  The 7K side show a disconnected state.  I think the issue is a capability issue between the ATT device and the 7K.  I just don't have many options on the 7K port to set now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card