Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

MetroEthernet Links support etherchannel ????

Hi our company got two sites A and B. 2+2 Mbps Metroethernet connect these two sites. because of stp one of the link is blocked. i want to utilize these two links by configuring etherchannel. I want to know whether metroethernets supports etherchannel or its depends on the service provider.

5 REPLIES

Re: MetroEthernet Links support etherchannel ????

Hello sheriff,

Yes.. etherchannels over metro ethernet circuits is possible... but the service provider has to support this !!!!! basically the ISP does trunking or tunneling of your VLANs across their backbone, through ME.. normally, due to security reasons and administrative overhead, they might not tunnel STP BPDU's, LACP, PAGP packets etc through ME.. you will need to specifically ask them to create a transparent ME link for use.. if they allow this, u can form etherchannels through the Metro circuit !!! There is a protocol that the ISP uses (L2PT) which will be used to carry the PAGP or LACP frames across metro ethernets..

Because you want to connect the two remote sites at L2, we need the ports connected to the MetroE SP lines to be configured as L2 as well.

Depending on the type MetroEthernet Service you are getting, the L2 control frames (CDP, VTP, DTP, STP BPDUs, PaGP/LACP, etc) will be

treated differently. Hence the service provider has to allow it....

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Community Member

Hi sachinraja,

Thanks for your advise. its very useful. i will check with my vendor. Thanks.

Regards,

Haja

Hi,

There are several flavors of metro ethernet service offerings.

From your description, it appears that you are having a layer 2 metro ethernet service from your provider, hence STP is involved in this scenario.

You need to talk to your service provider on etherchannel/lacp possibilities.

-VJ

Hi,

Just noticed Rajagopal's views on this.

I completely agree with him on this.

-VJ

Community Member

Hi Rajagopal,

Thanks.

Regards,

Haja.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content